Vaginal Thrush is a fungal infection that affects the vagina. It is caused by an overgrowth of candida and is treated by topical and/or oral anti-fungal medication. The symptoms include an itching burning sensation around the outside of the vagina, a change in vaginal discharge and sometimes discomfort during sex.
Thrush is often caused by a course of antibiotics which disturbs the natural balance of normal microbial flora that exists on our body but can also occur before or after a period, during pregnancy, in hot weather and with some women taking the oral contraceptive. It is also common in women who are diabetic, run down or have a condition that lowers immunity.
Vaginal Thrush is treated with a course of pessaries or cream with an applicator such as Canestan. You can also treat it orally with a new treatment called Diflucan. We recommend both Diflucan and Canestan as the Diflucancan take a few days to work and the topical treatment can relieve the immediate discomfort of a vaginal thrush infection.
If Thrush becomes an ongoing problem or is persistent then we recommend you visit your doctor to rule out other issues that cause Thrush like diabetes. It is also important to treat your partner if you are suffering from recurrent vaginal thrush as your partner may not be symptomatic but can be re-infecting you.
It is important to know that not all vaginal infections are thrush. If you find that you have pain or fever as well, if your discharge is smelly, if you have bleeding or the thrush is not resolving then you should talk with a pharmacist or visit your doctor. It is important to see a doctor if you are pregnant or suspect that you maybe pregnant.
You can take steps to minimise the chance of contracting vaginal thrush by avoiding scented soaps and using oil based lubricants.
Browse By Products
- Canesten Plus Clotrimazole and Hydrocortisone Cream 30g
- Canesten One Dose Pessary Treatment 500mg
- Canesten One Dose Pessary Treatment & Cream
- Canesten 3 Day Cream Treatment 20g
- Canesten 6 Day Cream Treatment
- Canesten 6 Day Pessary Treatment 100mg
- Canesten One Dose Cream Treatment 5g
- RepHresh Vaginal Gel - 4 pre-filled applicators
- Resolve Jock Itch Cream 25g - A common problem with an easy fix
- Diflucan One Capsule
- Canesten Oral Capsule - One Dose Treatment
- Canesten Duo - One Dose Oral Capsule and Cream
- Resolve Plus 0.5 Topical Cream 30g - Soothing anti-fungal cream
- Micreme H Cream 15g - Anti inflammatory and Antifungal
- APO-Ciclopirox Nail Lacquer Topical Solution 7ml
- Miconazole Cream 15g
- Ethical Nutrients IBS Support Capsules 30
- Ethical Nutrients Inner Health Candex Capsules 30
- Ethical Nutrients IBS Support Capsules 90
- Ethical Nutrients Eczema Shield Powder 100g
- Ethical Nutrients Eczema Relief Capsules 60
- Ethical Nutrients Travel Bug Capsules 30
- Ethical Nutrients Gastro Relief Capsules 30
- Ethical Nutrients Super Multi Plus Tablets 30
- Ethical Nutrients Super Multi Plus Tablets 60
- Ethical Nutrients Super Multi Plus Tablets 120
- Clinicians Antibiotic Support Vege Capsules 14
- Clinicians Antibiotic Support Vege Capsules 30
- Clinicians Antibiotic Support for Kids Vege Capsules 10
- Clinicians Flora Restore Capsules 30